Thursday, November 3, 2011

No Greater Love.

"The LORD is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love." - Psalm 145:8

There are days and nights where this verse is so overwhelmingly pressed on my heart and mind. Today is one of those days; and tonight is one of those nights. 

I'm thankful that God doesn't leave His children to figure life out on their own, but that "His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence..." (2 Peter 1:3). It's His glory & excellence, not mine. I will fail and fall, but He will be gracious, merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in His unfathomable loveHowever, after knowing this truth, it is a huge temptation to think that His grace abounds so that I can continue in my sin. What a terrible lie.

 {Lord, may I never take Your amazing grace for granted}. 

"Yes, Lord, thou didst indeed know me in my fallen state, and thou didst even then choose me for thyself. When I was loathsome and self-abhorred, thou didst receive me as thy child, and thou didst satisfy my craving wants. Blessed forever be they name for this free, rich, abounding mercy. Since then, my inward experience has often been a wilderness; but thou hast owned me still as thy beloved, and poured streams of love and grace into me to gladden me, and make me fruitful. Yea, when my outward circumstances have been at the worst, and I have wandered in a land of drought, thy sweet presence has solaced me. Men have not known me when scorn has awaited me, but thou hast known my soul in adversities, for no affliction dims the lustre of thy love. Most gracious Lord, I magnify thee for all thy faithfulness to me in trying circumstances, and I deplore that I should at any time have forgotten thee and been exalted in heart, when I owed all to thy gentleness and love. Have mercy upon thy servant..."
- C. H. Spurgeon

{Amazing love... Amazing grace}

No comments:

Post a Comment